We recently setup a new Dell based workstation based on the XPS 15 laptop. It included two 27” 4K monitors and a docking station. With two monitors, the docking station, the XPS 15 laptop and of course a solid keyboard and mouse, you have a very powerful setup for well under $4K.
We found the whole setup took us about 2 hours including downloading the latest Microsoft Windows and Dell updates, getting the docking station connected. Etc. After living with this home office setup for several weeks now we would highly recommend checking out Dell XPS laptops.
1. Dell XPS 15
The Dell’s XPS laptops is focused on their higher level build quality, resolution and overall performance focus. The Dell Cinema features great color, sound, and streaming. Dell’s XPS laptops are reasonably thin and make for easy toting to and from work and while traveling.
Here are some of the main features of Dell XPS laptops:
- Machined Aluminum: Dell’s XPS laptops such as the XPS 13 and 15 have precision-carved chassis from a single block of aluminum. This feature makes them very durable.
- Carbon Fiber: The palm rests of XPS laptops are made of carbon fiber which is used in high-performance cars and aviation. This feature adds strength to the laptops while keeping them cool to the touch.
- Gorilla® Glass: The screens of XPS laptops feature Edge-to-edge Corning® Gorilla® Glass. It offers more scratch resistance compared to traditional screens. It is also available on all touch displays.
- Backlit Keyboard and Precision Touchpad: The XPS laptops also have backlit keys that will allow you to work with ease even when you’re in low-light conditions. They also have precision touchpads that allow fluid navigation with a pinch, zoom, and click.
- Strong Visuals: Dell’s XPS laptops have great high resolution displays up to UltraSharp™ 4K Ultra HD which includea high level of brightness, IPS wide viewing angles, and high color gamut.
- Dell Cinema: As mentioned earlier, you will be able to enjoy watching movies in the XPS laptopsthrough Dell Cinema.
Dell XPS 15 Features:
Among the XPS line, the XPS 15 is focused on being the smallest 15.6-inch performance laptop available. It features an InfinityEdge display which is virtually borderless. It also has a one of a kind design. It features powerhouse performance with the latest NVIDIA graphics paired with a stunning 4K Ultra HD display. It only measures 11-17mm and only weighs 4 pounds or 1.8kg. It is one of the world’s lightest performance-class laptops.
The XPS 15 has the UltraSharp 4K Ultra HD display that will enable you to see each detail of every pixel without needing to zoom in. It also has an anti-reflective screen that is combined with superior 400-nit brightness which frees you to enjoy entertainment even outdoors. This laptop is also touch friendly. It will allow you to tap, swipe, and pinch your way around the screen.
The XPS 15 has super-speed processors. It includes the latest 6 core 8th Gen Intel® Core™ processors and an optional NVIDIA® GeForce™ graphics card. It is also the first Intel® Core™ i9 mobile processor. This laptop will allow you to work or play all day because it has the great battery life which can be up to 20 hours, 18 minutes on a Full HD mode when using productivity applications such as Excel and Word.
The XPS is a great laptop and definitely rivals whats being offered by Apple and other vendors. The cost is reasonable again comparing to Apple laptops and is well worth your consideration. The screen is excellent and fit and feel is solid yet lightweight.
2. Dell UltraSharp 27” 4K Monitor – U2718Q
This UltraSharp monitor by Dell is the world’s first 27-inch 4K monitor that has InfinityEdge which supports HDR content playback. With this monitor, you will be able to see stunning colors and details on a virtually borderless display.
- Device Type: LED-backlit LCD monitor – 27-inch
- Dimensions (WxDxH) with stand: 1-inch x 7.9-inch x 16.1-inch
- Diagonal and Viewable Size: 27-inch
- Operating System Supported: Windows 10, 8.1. 7
- Voltage Required: AC 12-.230 V (50/60 Hz)
- Power Consumption Operational: 30-Watt
- Power Consumption Stand by and Sleep: 3-Watt
Color Depth of 1.07 Billion Colors
Aside from the pretty picture that you can get from this monitor, it is also a screen that is made for multitasking Dell UltraSharp 27 4K Monitor features a striking color depth of 1.07 billion colors. It means that your work will be presented in outstanding detail whether it’s dark or bright in your area or workspace.
This monitor supports HDR content playback with greater depth of colors, outstanding clearness, and a high contrast range of shades to create strikingly realistic images. It is also factory calibrated at 99.9% standard RGB coverage to an accuracy of Delta-E less than 2, for accurate hues out of the box. This calibration guarantees color correctness, meaning, you can trust your projects to reflect true color intensity.
This UltraSharp monitor will enable you to view your HDR10 content like it was meant to be seen. In fact, even your HDR photos will boast a realistic experience.
Very Easy to Use
You do not have to sacrifice comfort when you want to stay on task with this monitor. It’s because this TUV-certified monitor is as efficient as it is effortless to use.
This monitor features different ports and slots:
- AC power connector
- HDMI connector
- DP connector (in)
- mDP connector (in)
- Audio line-out port
- USB upstream port
- USB 3.0 downstream port
- USB 3.0 downstream port with BCI
- Charging capability
- Stand dock
It also includes three cables: power cable, USB 3.0 cable, and DP-mDP cable.
What we like is the relatively low cost and simple design footprint. It looks good on a desk and fits the XPS style.
3. Dell Business Thunderbolt Dock
- Product Type: Docking station
- Docking Interface: Thunderbolt
- Video Interfaces: Thunderbolt, VGA, HDMI, DP, and Mini DP
- Dimensions (WxDxH): 7-inches x 5.7-inches x 2-inches
- Weight: 39 oz.
The Dell Business Thunderbolt Dock is the a very useful docking solution that is designed for power users and traditional workstation clients. It has the ability to connect up to three FHD displays, two 4K displays, or one 5K displays at 60Hz. It also has up to 40 Gbps data transfers that allow lightning-fast transfers of large files like video editing files.
By connecting this thunderbolt dock to your laptop, you will be able to get access to a wide variety of ports which can enhance your productivity. It can provide power to your laptop and also to attached Thunderbolt™ peripherals. It has the ability to provide up to 60W of power to an external Thunderbolt™ 3 device, making it great to use for Dell Latitude and XPS notebooks and as well as for 2-in-1s with a Thunderbolt™ 3 port that requires up to 65W of power.
And of course it just makes it easy to pull out the laptop and with one plugin, your up and going with all your external devices.